Are you ready for a seriously delicious breakfast? French toast and bacon are fairly normal, but why not combine that into the tastiness of a pretzel? Oh my goodness people, these things rocked my world! They are totally delicious with that magical combination of sweet and savory. They are even freezable for an on the go breakfast. Just freeze and microwave for 20-30 seconds when ready to eat. Breakfast doesn't have to be boring!
4 slices bacon
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm
1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
Additional brown sugar for sprinkling
1. Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Lay the bacon strips in the cold pan and then put it over the burner over medium heat. Cook until crispy, flipping once. Drain on paper towels and crumble.
2. Make your dough by dissolving the yeast and 1/4 cup brown sugar in the water.
3. Add in the bacon drippings, crumbled bacon, and flour and mix until combined. No need to knead. Let the dough rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 20 minutes).
4. Divide the dough into 8 golf ball sized lumps. Roll each ball into a snake or rope. Twist them into pretzel shapes (or whatever shape you'd like!).
5. In a shallow pan, beat together the milk and eggs. Ad din the cinnamon, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon brown sugar. Whisk until combined. Lay each pretzel in the egg mixture and let sit for 5 minutes. Flip and let sit another 5 minutes. While they are soaking up the egg mixture, preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
6. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Lay the soaked pretzels out on the pan and bake at 500 degrees for 7-10 minutes, until golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle brown sugar on top.
These are divine dipped in maple syrup!