This post may contain affiliate links
Killer Crockpot Carnitas (Slow Cooker)
Years ago I was watching Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. They showed a Mexican restaurant that people lined up out the door for. Apparently they had killer carnitas which they showed how to make. I say they showed how to make them, but if you've ever seen the show you know that means they just listed off the ingredients and showed it start to finish in about 10 seconds. They made theirs in huge batches, but I watched it over and over until I figured out the proportions of ingredients. After a few experimental tries, and several years of making them, I'm pretty sure I've mastered pork carnitas. This meat is as good as it comes and makes one killer taco. If you are still making ground beef tacos, they will quickly become a thing of the past once you try this recipe. And it's made in the slow cooker so what's not to love! Get ready for taco cravings!
1 Pork Butt/Shoulder Roast (3-5 lbs)
2 tablespoons Cumin
1 tablespoon Chili Powder
1/2-1 tablespoon Cayenne Pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)
3/4 tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 tsp Ground Cloves
2 Bay Leaves
1 tablespoon Salt
2 cups Vegetable Oil
1. Trim roast and slice into 1/4 inch thick pieces. Put directly into crock pot (or baking pan). I hate eating gristle and fat so trim, trim, trim!
2. Combine spices and toss into crockpot.
3. Add in the vegetable oil. Yes, it is a lot of oil, but fear not. If you skimp you won't get the same results.
4. Toss together using hands until evenly coated with spice and oil goodness.
5. Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours until the meat can easily be shredded with a fork.
More Great Slow Cooker Recipes:
Join me on instagram for additional great content!